Short

Allergy to hair dye

Allergy to hair dye


Hair dye allergy is a reaction that occurs when an ingredient in this skincare product is not tolerated by the body. Here are the main ingredients that cause the hair dye allergy, what are its manifestations, what therapeutic measures you should take quickly and how do you protect yourself from such an unpleasant reaction!

Causes of hair dye allergy

The allergy is caused by the chemicals found in hair dye products. According to specialists, the ingredient that creates the most allergic reactions at the capillary level is parafenylenediamine (PDD), a chemical that is found in most hair dyes.

Paraphenylenediamine penetrates into the hair and follicles and affects the skin proteins, favoring the onset of allergic reactions. But it is not the only ingredient with high allergenic risk. According to the specialists, some brown or satin pigments used in such paints, as well as glyceryl thioglycolate, may cause allergic reactions.

Symptoms of hair dye allergy

Allergy to paint appears only a few moments after applying the product on the hair and roots and manifests through:

  • contact dermatitis (redness and itching in the scalp and areas of the skin that the paint touches);
  • erythema or irritation of the scalp;
  • swelling of the eyes, face and tongue (anaphylactic shock, the most serious allergic reaction).

In general, intense itching and burning sensation are the most common manifestations of the allergy.

Treatment and prevention of allergy to hair dye

If you find that the hair dye has created an allergic reaction, remove it quickly, washing your hair with plenty of water. In the case of a mild allergic reaction, without severe irritation and severe symptoms, no medical measures are taken.

The allergy passes in 2-3 days after the triggering factor is removed. But if the allergy is pronounced and you experience the symptoms of dermatitis quite severely, use corticosteroid ointments, which you apply locally.

Only in the case of an anaphylactic shock, when you notice that your face is swollen and that you can no longer breathe, it is advisable to go to the doctor urgently for quick care. Anaphylactic shock can be fatal if not acted upon by administering a special injection with corticosteroids.

The best treatment against hair dye allergy is prevention. You can prevent allergic reactions if you opt for the use of chemical-free hair dyes, created from natural, organic products.

Another means of prevention is testing. Before applying a new paint on the hair, which you know you have not used, apply a small amount on a small portion of skin and wait a few minutes, then rinse.

If, while applying the paint, you have felt itching, itching, you notice a strange rash after rinsing or intense redness, replace it with another. You may be allergic to that product.

Have you ever used a hair dye that caused you allergic reactions? How did you show up and what did you do to reduce the symptoms? Tell us your opinions in the comments section below!